21 November 2010

I'm a grumpy old man because...

I can't understand why people ask what a word means or who a person is when they're already on the damned Internet and can look it up themselves. It's a sign of disrespect to me that they are so freakin' lazy and think that my time is worth so much less than theirs.

I can't understand why airport security treats everyone the same: poorly. Terrorist hijackers all come from one demographic. You don't see 80-year-old Chinese-American grandmothers carrying shoe bombs. Sure, run the wand over every single person and have the sniffer dogs pass by their carry-ons. It seems to me that we've so damned politically correct that we willfully fail to concentrate on proven demographic information in the name of being fair. Life ain't fair, folks.

I can't understand why people in Oakland want another stadium for the Oakland Athletics when they still have $10 million in annual debt payments through 2025 for the Oakland Coliseum. Having a big-league team doesn't make you big league. Having good schools, safe streets, and honest politicians makes you big league. There ought to be a way to make everyone who votes in favor of a new sports stadium pay triple sales tax while those of us with some fiscal common sense pay less.

I can't understand why Mike Singletary, a fundamentally decent man but overmatched as the 49ers Head Coach, still has a job.

I can't understand why the New York Yankees are dragging their heels re-signing Derek Jeter. For his whole career, he's been the heart and soul of that team. Sure, he's lost a step, but he's a quiet leader who is respected by everyone, including Red Sox fans. (I are one.)

I can't understand why the bus system gives its board of directors cars. They should ride the buses like the rest of us and maybe they'd figure out what needs to be fixed.

more grumpiness to come...